About Retreat Realty
Why Have a Retreat?
Regardless of your political affiliation, we can all agree that our federal government is bloated beyond measure and our national, state, municipal, corporate and personal debt load is untenable. Its only a matter of time before the “debt bomb” explodes and with it goes our economy. On top of that, numerous senior government officials have openly addressed the frailty of our national power grid and how it would easily be possible to put large swaths of our country in the dark for months or more. In late 2015, Emmy Award winner and respected news anchor Ted Koppel wrote an entire book on this matter. Think for a moment what that would mean in an urban/suburban environment: no electricity for lighting, water/sewer, communications, heating/cooling, medical care, banking. Our civil society exists on a razor’s edge, and one extended large scale disruption, be it due to a natural disaster, terrorist strike, or economic collapse is all it will take to send us over the edge. When that happens, you need a place to run to, but waiting to decide until the last minute will be too late. Now is the time to contact Retreat Realty to put your plans into action.
You’ve been thinking about it. You’ve read some online articles. You’re seeing the nightly news reports. Now is the time. Don’t be like those in the accompanying photo at left (Hurricane Rita evacuation) stuck in traffic trying to escape or herded into a FEMA emergency shelter. Plan ahead for the future by investing in a retreat property that can provide you and your family a hedge against future uncertainty by becoming more sustainable and living closer to the land, and be ready to “get out of Dodge”.
What is a “Retreat” or “Prepper” Property?
- At least five acres of land to provide you privacy and room to roam.
- Should be well outside the town limits of any sizable metropolitan area to avoid the movement of a large population that could become refugees.
- Should have its own water source, either surface stream, springs, well and/or pond for storage. This is a must.
- Should have a private septic system or other method of waste disposal. This is a must.
- Should have a fuel source on the property such as a stand of timber, hydro, wind or large fuel tank.
- Should have a modest amount of land available for the cultivation of vegetables and crops or livestock.
- Should be “off the beaten path”, meaning not within view of or close to a major thoroughfare.
- Should not be encumbered by covenants and restrictions of a Property Owners Association, and should be relatively free of burdensome county zoning ordinances.
- Should be within one tank of gas from your primary residence.
There are many other criteria to consider, all of which we can explain during your assessment. You can start out small and grow into it later. Or you can jump right in and set up a major family compound on Day One. Call us to discuss your specific need and we’ll help you along through the evaluation so that you can find the right place for you. Once you’ve found your spot, we can assist you further with our knowledge of design, land use and preparedness procedures. Don’t go it alone. Go with Retreat Realty.
Interested in touring properties?
- Getting started fairly early and going the entire day. Sometimes it may take 40 minutes to drive from one property to another. It means being dressed to walk through fields and forests.
- Leave young children or pets at home. When clients show up with children or dogs, it sends the message that they aren’t too serious. Children and pets require constant attention and reduce the effectiveness of the day.
- Leave the driving to us! We will drive (unless it is physically impossible to fit everyone in to our small SUV’s). Why? Because we want you to focus on the surroundings and not the curvy roads or following one of us. We use the drive time to discuss your needs and explain what you’re seeing as we drive. In our small SUV’s we can get in and out of tight, hard to reach off-road places. You’re big Ford F-150 may have more towing capacity, but it can’t maneuver like a BMW X3.
- Hang up the phone (mostly). We know you need to stay in touch with the office or take an urgent call from a child, but constant phone interruptions are just rude and a distraction. We do not take incoming calls when we are with clients, unless it has to do with a specific property showing or a family emergency. We do so out of respect for you, so please do the same.
- Be honest with us as to your budget and timing. We do not expect most people to purchase something on the first visit, but its important to know if you are one month, three months or twelve months out before making a purchase.
- If you are working with another real estate agent, please let us know up front. We gladly cooperate with other agents, but if you are, then we are going to ask, “Why hasn’t that agent come along and doing his/her job?” We invest a great deal of time in preparation for property tours, so if you follow the above advice, your experience will be most productive and we’ll come away feeling appreciated.
Who is John Haynes?
John’s excellent knowledge of real estate, planning and design caters specifically to clients of Retreat Realty. He can introduce you to experts in the fields of alternative energy, green building, animal husbandry, security measures, communications, etc. Given the nature of this subject, discretion is necessary and a special skill set is crucial. With such an investment, one must operate with the highest level of integrity. Read the testimonials and if you’d like to see dozens of full length testimonial letters, let us know. We also note that John is a broker affiliate with Keller Williams Professionals of Asheville, NC. With over 400 Keller Williams agents in the Asheville market, John is consistently one of the highest level producers (#7 in 2018) and through August 2019, #1.
We value your time, but also ours. Viewing properties in the mountains takes time because of the distances involved, especially for retreat properties. Therefore, before investing a great deal of time, we need to know that you are (1) serious; (2) financially capable of buying and; (3) have the right mindset. We aren’t tour guides. We’re professionals. Please read our post about touring properties with us.
While Retreat Realty’s focus is on land and homes in the mountains of western North Carolina, we can assist in the purchase of properties anywhere within the state. Just call and we will be glad to consult with you.
We most often operate as Buyer’s Agents, screening properties and showing only those that are most relative to your need and budget. However, we also list properties for sale and in such cases will operate as a Dual Agent. If that sounds confusing, you can learn more about Agency Relationships by visiting the NC Real Estate Commission website by clicking here. In a nutshell, until we have established how we will represent you, don’t tell us anything you wouldn’t want a seller to know.
Retreat Realty does not discriminate against any protected class of persons so identified by any Federal or State agencies.